Four Kitchens is a leading open-source consulting firm with strong roots in the Drupal, open-source, and free-culture communities. Branding, design, information and systems architecture, usability, development, and project management are all handled in-house by our team of talented web chefs in Austin, Texas.
Our clients are located across North America, Europe, and the Middle East. While our largest clients are companies, we also serve a number of charities and non-profits. Our projects are mostly large-scale, and they require extensive client collaboration and occasional on-site work.
Though we handle (very) big projects, we're small enough that our team members go by names, not numbers. Everyone at Four Kitchens — including the owners — is primarily a contributor, not a manager. Our web chefs bring much more than their professional skills to the kitchen, and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company.
When we create new software, we always try to license it under the GPL and publish it back to the community. Because our work is open-source, you can feature most work done at Four Kitchens in your portfolio.
Although we work hard, we strive to maintain a good work-life balance for our employees. Our web chefs' hobbies include cycling, rock climbing, sketch comedy, yoga, writing, home brewing, and skydiving. We also actively participate in various charities, community meetups, and volunteer activities.
- Full-time and contracted positions are available
- Unlimited paid leave
- $2,000 annual professional development and education budget. This can be spent on conferences, seminars, classes — anything that advances your professional goals
- Medical plan
- Flexible scheduling and occasional telecommuting
- Casual (but professional) work environment
- Travel may be required for some projects
- Familiarity with at least one modern web or application development framework
- Database experience (preferably MySQL)
- Linux experience
- Familiarity with package management (such as rpm/yum, deb/apt-get)
- Knowledge of backup strategies
- Experience configuring Apache, MySQL and other services
- Enthusiasm for open-source philosophy and community involvement
- Strong communication skills and professional demeanor. You must be able to effectively represent yourself and Four Kitchens to clients, other members of your team, and to the Drupal and open-source communities at large
- Experience developing with Drupal
- Familiarity with a range of design patterns
- Experience with another modern programming language (such as Java, Ruby, or Python)
- Bachelor's or higher in a technical, scientific, or engineering discipline (information systems, computer science, etc.)
- Experience with a configuration management system (such as Bcfg2 or Puppet)
- Experience with modern distributed version control systems (such as Bazaar or Git)
- Networking and routing knowledge (such as iptables)
- Experience using and configuring APC, Memcached, and Varnish
- Previous work on open-source projects and adhering to coding standards